Friday, July 24, 2009

Photo of the Day

 


This was a photo taken back in 2005 at Capitol Reef National Park. I'm getting around to posting it now because I've finally picked up a scanner to convert my significant film-based photos to digital.

I'm using the Wolverine F2D film to digital scanner. It is a standalone device, meaning that you don't have to hook it up to a computer unless you want to. It will let you see the image on a tiny LCD screen and stores the images on a 1GB SD card, which is included.

It will take some trial and error to improve my scans, but for a bulk scanning of hundreds of images, this is a pretty decent value. It takes roughly five seconds per negative to scan, compared with a minute or more on the Epson 1260 flatbed scanner (since discontinued but which still does an admirable job). I'd recommend the Epson V500, which is a good balance of quality and price.

Still, if I'm looking to scan an image larger than for the Internet or an 8x10, this isn't going to yield satisfactory results.

No comments: