Friday, December 05, 2008

Meme of the Day: 100 Things Done in a Lifetime

One hundred things done, or should be done in a lifetime. This is one of those posts that works for a weekend or when news gets slow, and today just seems like the time to post it:

1. Started your own blog: I was busy blogging before blogging was called blogging. And this particular blog has been growing since 2005.

2. Slept under the stars: Several times, but the most memorable being in Israel in the summer of 1993.

3. Played in a band: Nope, but does chorus count?

4. Visited Hawaii: It's on a list of places to go.

5. Watched a meteor shower: Many times, the most recent of which was at Bryce Canyon National Park.

6. Given more than you can afford to charity: I wish I could say yes, but that just isn't true. It is my intention to one day to do all that and more.

7. Been to Disneyland: Winter 1999.

8. Climbed a mountain: Several, including in Israel.

9. Held a praying mantis: Yes, once. Don't intend to do that again.

10. Sang a solo: Nope, just good backup singing in chorus.

11. Bungee jumped: Why would someone want to jump off a perfectly stable structure and put their life in the hands of a rope?

12. Visited Paris: Absolutely, and I've got the pictures to prove it. And here, here, and here.

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea: Nope, but I've watched them from airplanes on several occasions. Nothing quite like watching nature in all its glory.

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch: I draw and paint, so I guess that came naturally.

15. Adopted a child: Nope.

16. Had food poisoning: Thankfully not that I can recall.

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty: Sure did back when they had it open to visitors. Today folks don't get nearly the same experience that they once did walking up the spiral staircase to peer out from the Lady Liberty's crown.

18. Grown your own vegetables: Green thumb means veggies galore.

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France: Underwhelmed. It's such a tiny painting surrounded by tremendous crowds. I think the mysteriousness of the smile is what does it. The Louvre has so many other wonderous artifacts and paintings that the Mona Lisa isn't even top 5.

20. Slept on an overnight train: They have 'em in the States?

21. Had a pillow fight: Sure, who hasn't.

22. Hitchhiked: Why hitchhike when you can rent a car on your own, and it's much safer?

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill: Who hasn't?

24. Built a snow fort: Back in the day before global warming.

25. Held a lamb: Lamb chops and rack of lamb, sure? Oh, you mean while the lamb was alive?

26. Gone skinny dipping: Can't say that I have.

27. Run a marathon: Watching a marathon is hard enough work. No.

28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice: It's on my list of things to do.

29. Seen a total eclipse: I have, and it was quite memorable.

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset: Quite often, but the most memorable is sunrise and sunsets in Key West and sunrise over the Dead Sea as seen from Masada.

31. Hit a home run: Who hasn't?

32. Been on a cruise: I'm working on that.

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person: Sure have, and it's majesty doesn't come through pictures because of the sheer energy that you feel just standing next to them.

34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors

35. Seen an Amish community: Lancaster County, PA.

36. Taught yourself a new language: French, but that doesn't mean I speak it very well.

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person

39. Gone rock climbing: [added] Yes. Actually, it was rappelling, not rock climbing.

40. Seen Michelangelo’s David: Only in H.W. Jansen's History of Art.

41. Sung karaoke: I have the right to remain silent.

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt: It's on my list of things to do and see.

43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant: Nope.

44. Visited Africa: Nope, but there are a few places I'd like to see - the rolling savannas and Mt. Kilimanjaro being but two.

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight: Who hasn't?

46. Been transported in an ambulance: Unfortunately, yes.

47. Had your portrait painted: Nope.

48. Gone deep sea fishing: No.

49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person: It's on my list of things to do.

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris: And I have the pictures to prove it.

51. Gone SCUBA diving or snorkeling: Sounds like fun.

52. Kissed in the rain: You don't know what you're missing if you haven't.

53. Played in the mud: See 52.

54. Gone to a drive-in theater: See 52.

55. Been in a movie: I've seen a few being made but haven't been in any that I know of.

56. Visited the Great Wall of China: It's on my list.

57. Started a business: I did, and I profited from the experience.

58. Taken a martial arts class: Nope, but there are times I wish I had.

59. Visited Russia: It's not on my bucket list.

60. Served at a soup kitchen: No.

61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies: I guess eating them doesn't count.

62. Gone whale watching: Believe it or not, I was able to go whale watching from the shore at Bodega Bay in California. We were on a cliff overlooking the bay and I noticed a bunch of whales close ashore surfacing occasionally. It was very cool.

63. Got flowers for no reason: Haven't received them, but I have given them.

64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma: Does getting into fights count?

65. Gone sky diving: What? And jump out of a perfectly good aircraft?

66. Visited a Nazi concentration camp: I think it's something everyone should do - if only to remember that Never Again really should mean Never Again.

67. Bounced a check: Not on your life.

68. Flown in a helicopter: Nope. I did sit in one as a kid though.

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy: Where's that Curious George?

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial: Sure have, on several occasions.

71. Eaten caviar: I sure have.

72. Pieced a quilt: I can mend a seam and fix a button, but anything more complicated than that, and I'm calling a tailor.

73. Stood in Times Square: I work in New York City and used to live there; what do you think?

74. Toured the Everglades: And I have the pictures to prove it. I also had the mosquito bites to prove it when walking along the Aninga Trail.

75. Been fired from a job: Nope.

76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London: Sounds like fun.

77. Broken a bone: Elbow.

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle: Nope.

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person: And I have the pictures to prove it.

80. Published a book: I haven't, although more than a few people have suggested that I do so.

81. Visited the Vatican: If I want to see the Sistine Chapel, I guess I'd have to do that, but it's not on my list.

82. Bought a brand new car: Sure did. Also bought a used car, which was my first real big purchase.

83. Walked in Jerusalem: I lived there for six weeks, and I can recall every moment there with vivid recollection. Oh, and I have the pictures to prove it.

84. Had your picture in the newspaper: Yes, but I'm not saying where or when.

85. Read the entire Bible: Sunday school to the rescue!

86. Visited the White House: I've stood in front of it, but haven't stepped inside.

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating

88. Had chickenpox: Yes, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

89. Saved someone’s life: I have, and it was a most gratifying experiences.

90. Sat on a jury: Nope, but I've been on jury duty once.

91. Met someone famous: Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Constantine Maroulis. Sofia Milos. Ernie Anastos. John Aniston (Jennifer's dad). Curtis Sliwa. And too many New York politicians to count, starting with George Pataki, David Paterson, Ed Koch, and Chuck Schumer to name but three.

92. Joined a book club: Nope.

93. Lost a loved one: Yes.

94. Had a baby: No.

95. Seen the Alamo in person: No.

96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake: I'll see the Great Salt Lake, and raise you the Dead Sea.

97. Been involved in a law suit: Yes.

98. Owned a cell phone: If that a joke? Can you hear me now?

99. Been stung by a bee: Ouch!

100. Read an entire book in one day: Too many to recall.


HT: Jim at Parkway Rest Stop

No comments: