Thursday, December 13, 2007

Map Reading and GPS

Instapundit notes that he might finally break down and purchase a GPS considering the sale going on at Amazon.com. He wonders whether having a GPS will affect his map reading skills.

I'm not sure. However, I know that I've found reading maps to be one of the more enjoyable things to do. Bear with me on this.

I am in charge of planning trips, but Mrs. Lawhawk chooses the general location of where to go. It's my job to plan the route, airfares, hotels, car rentals, and to try and hit national parks along the way.

You can't do that with a GPS in any easy fashion. However, with AAA, you can get the map for the area you're looking at - spread it on the table and pore over it so that you can figure out your destination.

It's how I've planned all my trips domestically. From my Grand Canyon grand tour that hit Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, North and South Rims, Lake Mead, and a whole bunch of points in between to the Los Angeles to Palm Springs/Joshua Tree NP to San Diego trip, using the map to pick out the route and to meander around (choosing to go less traveled routes where possible) was a great thing.

Having a GPS might make it less likely to make a wrong turn, but it can't help you plan your route as easily as a paper map with a highlighter can.

No comments: