Sunday, December 16, 2007

Andy Pettitte: I Did It

Lo and behold, Andy Pettitte has admitted to taking HGH to deal with an arm injury:
Pettitte said he tried HGH on two occasions - back when it was still legal in the big leagues.

"If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize," Pettitte said yesterday in a statement released by his agent. "I accept responsibility for those two days."

Pettitte is among more than 80 players named by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell's investigation into performance-enhancing drugs.

Pettitte had not until now commented on the allegations revealed Thursday.

Pettitte asked the trainer he shared with Roger Clemens, Brian McNamee, to help him with HGH while Pettitte was on the disabled list early in the 2002 season, according to the report.

"In 2002 I was injured. I had heard that Human Growth Hormone could promote faster healing for my elbow," Pettitte said in the statement released late yesterday by his agent, Randy Hendricks.
Nice. I'm still not sure how I feel with all this, but the problem for baseball is that they're trying to deal with a class of drugs and performance enhancing aids that were not illegal during the time in which Pettitte admits to having taken them.

It's also worth noting that he isn't alleged to have taken steroids, but fans will likely not see the distinction. His name is forever linked with the Mitchell Report.

No comments: