Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Camera Question

Hope everyone's holidays have been filled with fun and merriment. I have a photo tech question that I'm hoping that my readers might be able to help with. I'm in the market for a DSLR to upgrade from the Canon Rebel 2000 that I've been shooting with for the past five years. I've invested in a bunch of lenses for that camera, plus a flash unit so I'm sticking with Canon. It was a much easier decision to make when the choice was between the Rebel XT and the Canon 30d because the 30d was clearly the superior model from practically every aspect.

That isn't so clear now that Canon put out the XTi. The XTi has a larger LCD screen on the back, has a higher MP and integrated dust removal system, and costs a couple hundred bucks less than the 30d. The 30d still has an advantage in fps (5 v. 3) and ISO range, but the XTi weighs less which is a consideration since we do lots of traveling.

Specs for the XTi are here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XTI/XTIA.HTM
Specs for the 30d are here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E30D/E30DA.HTM

I would use this camera as my primary system, and would use it for travel, landscapes, some macro work, and candids.

No comments: