Wednesday, March 08, 2006

New Jersey's Anti-Anonymity Bill To Ash Heap of History?

The anti-anonymity bill may sooon be withdrawn by its sponsor.

So soon?

Naw, couldn't be the work of bloggers who noted and picked up on New Jersey Assemblyman Peter Biondi's anti-anonymity bill that was introduced in January. An Newark Star Ledger story says he's reconsidering the bill and would withdraw it if it is found to be unconstitutional:
Biondi's bill has no co-sponsors, and isn't yet scheduled for hearings. The assemblyman, who said he doesn't have time to wade through online forums, has asked the state Office of Legislative Services to determine if the measure is constitutional.

"If it turns out this bill is unworkable, I'll certainly reconsider and withdraw it," said Biondi , 63, whose cyber-civics lesson has left him "inundated" with calls and e-mails.
A quick review by the Star Ledger found the bill would violate at least several provisions of federal law, at least one Supreme Court case, and that's before we get to the US Constitution. Buzz Machine has the details.
Assemblyman Biondi: My name is Jeff Jarvis. I live in your state. In fact, I live in your own district. What a coincidence, eh? Well, I will vote against you. Again. I will campaign against you. I will stand on streetcorners to tell my neighbors what I think of you. You are a blooming idiot. I get to say that because this is America, damnit.

Your idiotic bill is a violation of my rights of free speech and privacy. It is utterly impossible to enforce. It contradicts federal law in Section 230 of the Communcations Decency Act, the only section of that act that was left standing by the Supreme Court.
In my earlier coverage of this story, I predicted that it would have 0 chance of passage. Looks like this was one prediction I got right.

No comments: