Syrian rebels smuggled a wounded British journalist out of the besieged central city of Homs Tuesday and whisked him to safety in neighboring Lebanon, activist groups said. They did not manage to evacuate a wounded French journalist or the bodies of two other Western reporters killed last week.There are unconfirmed reports that a wounded French journalist was also evacuated, but there's no confirmation despite claims from French President Sarkozy that it has happened.
The Syrian opposition group Local Coordination Committees and global activist group Avaaz said Paul Conroy was the only foreign journalist to escape Syria. Rima Fleihan, an LCC spokeswoman, said the Sunday Times photographer was smuggled out by Syrian army defectors.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton gave one of the stronger statements that Assad is a war criminal. It's an argument I've been making for some time now - based on the following evidence:
- purposefully targeting civilian areas without regard for civilian casualties;
- collective punishment by withholding humanitarian aid and all manner of supplies to embattled cities such as Homs and Hama;
- specifically targeting opponents of the regime for elimination;
- mass killings, including reports surfacing yesterday concerning the murder of dozens of civilians attempting to flee Hama but who were killed en masse near a checkpoint; and
- unlawful detention of protesters and opposition groups.