Thursday, March 15, 2007

Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'

I always said that I would believe it when there was proof. Well, an admission is proof!

NEW YORK (AP) -- Pete Rose bet on the Cincinnati Reds "every night" when he managed them and, despite his lifetime ban because of gambling, would like another chance in a major league dugout.

"I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week," Rose said Wednesday on "The Dan Patrick Show" on ESPN Radio.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," he said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

In a wide-ranging interview, the banned Rose said he thinks he should be reinstated because "I believe I'm the best ambassador baseball has." He hopes a new exhibit in Cincinnati is a sign baseball will soften its stance toward him.

If reinstated, the 65-year-old Rose said he would like to again manage in the majors.


Now, I understand Baseball's possission on gambling. Allowing ilelgal gambling jeopardizes the integrity of the game and threatens the leagues long standing anti-trust exemption. However, did Pete Rose do anything so wrong that justifies a life time ban? I believe that a punishment should fit the crime. A life time ban for someone who has dedicated his life towards baseball, was one of the greatest players of his time, is to long.

Baseball should reinstate Pete Rose and allow him to be judged by the voting members of the hall of fame.

No comments: