Saturday, April 29, 2006

Wish List

Some of you may know that I love taking pictures. I used to feature those that I liked best on this blog as a repeating feature, but cut back because of the time uploading and managing that endeavor. That hasn't cut into the time I spend taking pictures though, and I'm looking to upgrade and expand my camera gear.

Next year I intend on getting the Canon Digital Rebel XT, which means I'll be able to use my existing lenses that were purchased for my Canon Rebel 2000. I currently have a Canon 28-85 lens that came with the camera originally, a Tokina 28-300 lens, and a Tamron 19-40 lens with macro capability. In the meantime, I'm looking at getting an external flash, a teleextender, and a replacement 28-300 lens.

The external flashes I'm looking for should be around $200, have TTL and e-TTL capabilities, let me improve indoor photography, and enhance my outdoor photography in low light situations.

The flashes I'm looking at are the Sigma EF-500 DG ST flash, the Sunpak PZ40X, and Canon's 430 EX Speedlite. I'm leaning towards the Sigma, but would be interested in knowing what other photographers prefer.

I'm thinking of getting a teleextender to let me double my zoom lens capabilities without having to splurge on a bigger lens. I know I'll lose 2 f/stops but when I go digital, that will somewhat reduce the effect of the light loss. The Tamron 2x teleextender appears to fit the bill.

And finally, there's the replacement 28-300 lens. I currently have a Tokina 28-300 lens, and it's done its job admirably even though I've had to figure out workarounds for the lens' shortcomings. It doesn't let you hold a particular focal length like newer lenses. Therefore, I'm looking at the Sigma 28-300 and the Tamron 28-300. The Tamron lens is nearly double the price of the Sigma lens, and I will have to handle both to see whether the differences are significant enough to warrant spending the extra money on the Tamron lens. I know that there's another Tamron 28-300 lens that is comparable to the Sigma in price, but it appears to have been discontinued.

Other gadgets I'll be looking to get in the coming year are a remote shutter switch, which will come in handy when taking macro shots and photos of Mrs. Lawhawk and I on trips.

No comments: