Saturday, January 07, 2006

Scratch That

Tom DeLay is stepping down as majority leader permanently and will not seek to resume that position. He sent a letter to Rep. Denny Hastert explaining the situation.
Dear Mr. Speaker,

I am writing to inform you of my decision to permanently step aside as majority leader, and of my belief that the best interests of the conference would be served by the election of a new leader as soon as possible.

The job of majority leader and the mandate of the Republican majority are too important to be hamstrung, even for a few months, by personal distractions.

I will continue to serve my constituents and seek re-election to a 12th term representing Texas’ 22nd district while I work to clear my name of the baseless charges leveled against me. I will also be reclaiming my seat on the Appropriations Committee when the second session of the 109th Congress convenes later this month.

Sincerely,

Tom DeLay
He's going to continue running for reelection for his seat in Texas and working to clear his name from the prosecution by rogue prosecutor Ronnie Earle. However, DeLay's problems go well beyond Earle to his dealings with Jack Abramoff et al.

And this means that one of my 2006 predictions may have gone by the boards. Oh well. Pelosi will continue as a back bencher, which is just as good.

Others noticing DeLay's news: Doug Krile and Doklephant, where Justin Gardener thinks that DeLay was reading the polls that came out showing the GOP was in trouble. I think Justin needs to reread the polls - and look at the raw data. However, Justin is on to something when he said that he stepped down because of what might be coming down the pike - in the way of more damning information.

UPDATE:
To be clear, DeLay had already stepped down - as per GOP House rules. This is his letter stating that he will not intend on returning to the position. Still significant, and it also shows that DeLay thinks that the problems re: Abramoff are far from over.

The Ronnie Earle prosecution isn't the problem here although that was what instigated DeLay's original stepping down (indictments led to invocation of GOP rules).

No comments: