Monday, December 18, 2006

Upon Further Review

I am declining to accept my Time Person of the Year award. It's not that I'm undeserving of this award (more than 3,000 postings on this blog in the past two years). It's just that I find that Time's treatment of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad completely unacceptable. Time not only made him the runner up in a year where he should have been a shoe-in for nutbar of the year, or genocidal leader-in-waiting, but he loses out on this resume padding award at a time when his countrymen may be tiring of his dog and pony show. Ahmadinejad may have to resort to gladiatorial games (or a bloody crackdown) to get Iranians to forget about the lack of economic opportunities and a completely screwed up social scene, but that might actually get him over the top. What does a guy have to do to win this award anyway?

Oh, and that caption business. Fawning over a genocidal leader who hasn't actually carried through with his threats? What is Time thinking? Would he have scored bonus points if he managed to kill a whole bunch of pesky Israelis? He's already killing Americans in Iraq via his jihadi recruits and assistance to the insurgency.

I therefore am throwing my copy of the award over the AOL TimeWarner Center railing. It is seared into my memory. Seared I say.

Technorati: , , , .

No comments: