Saturday, May 13, 2006

Handicapping Bush's Immigration Speech Monday

So, what will he say? What should he say?

How about a clear enunciation of what our current policy is and what he's going to change. I'd love to hear that he's going to focus on border security first, and ensuring that we can fully control our borders before tackling the issue of those illegal aliens already in the US. I expect to hear that the Administration is going to propose a dual track - proposing a guest worker/amnesty program alongside the border control program. I think that's the wrong approach - not because I'm necessarily opposed to a guest worker program, but because we have to control the borders first before dealing with those already here.

Will the military be called upon to augment the border patrol? There are legal and constitutional issues that need to be addressed, but it is a possibility. Stop the ACLU believes that the legalities can be overcome. I'm not entirely sure that it has, but we certainly need to do more than we're doing now.

Fencing the entire border and not just with Mexico - not just certain sections - would be something I want to hear. I expect to be disappointed, but I would be satisfied with fencing the entire border with Mexico.

Confederate Yankee is disgusted with Bush over the immigration issue and hopes for this speech but is prepared to be completely disappointed.

No comments: